All roofs require regular maintenance to achieve a long-term service life and minimize the chance of leakage problems in the future. Owners should not allow a nuisance leak to persist and develop into a major problem, degrading insulation and causing mold or dry rot and damaging the roof assembly.
Your roof experiences every day wear and tear through the process of natural aging and exposure to the elements. If maintenance services are not completed on a regular basis, the service life of the roof will be greatly reduced and the roof warranty may become void. The service life of any well maintained roof will be longer if it is properly taken care of.
The following items can adversely affect your roof:
- Weather Conditions (Sun, Rain, Wind)
- Poor Design, Defective Materials & Roof Installation
- Failure to Maintain or Repair the Roof (Neglect)
- Roof Top Contaminants (Oil, Grease, Fuels, Fluids, HVAC Discharges)
- Building & Roof Movement & Expansion
- Building Improvements (Additions, Satellite & Data Dishes, etc.)
- Contractor Damage/Foot Traffic (Dropped tools, etc.)
- Deck Deflections (Ponding)
- Clogged Drains and Scuppers
- Defective Flashings and Penetrations
What Is Roof Maintenance?
Roof Maintenance is the regular scheduling of tasks to keep a roof in a watertight condition. A roof maintenance program will protect the longevity of the roof. Roof Maintenance items include inspecting and cleaning the roofing substrates, gutters and drains, sealing roof penetrations, checking for open seams, wall flashings, support blocks and scuppers. It is the continued maintenance of these items that will keep your property watertight and extend the roof’s expected service life. Roof Maintenance includes the maintenance and repairs of other rooftop components as well. Some of the other maintenance and repair of the rooftop components will include sealing HVAC duct work, exposed wood components, and skylights.
Why start a Roof Maintenance Program?
Starting a Roof Maintenance Plan is important for maintaining your roofs and avoiding costly emergency repairs and allowing you to control your annual maintenance budget and help plan future capital expenditures. A San Diego County Roofing & Solar Maintenance Program helps you develop a “Pro-Active” roof program and saves you money in the long run, giving you a leak free roof during the rainy season and extending the service life of your roof.
Advantages to having a Roof Maintenance Program in place:
- Keeps you informed of the overall condition of the roof
- Prevents costly surprises from occurring
- Buys you time to build up a budget before major repairs are needed
- Most importantly, will help you save thousands of dollars in interior damage and potential health related hazards
What We Do
We carefully inspect the roof for any visible signs of damage, and list all necessary repairs. We check all pipes, vents, corners, drains, gutters, skylights, AC ducts, iron supports, metal flashings, etc. Once we have the list of deficient items we proceed with creating a suitable yearly maintenance program that will pro-actively address the issues related with the roof. We then provide you with an estimate for any necessary repairs and the cost for the yearly maintenance program. If during our roof maintenance we find any issue that requires additional attention and that is not covered by the yearly roof maintenance program, we then present you with a proposal for correcting such issue(s) before it becomes a bigger problem.
When evaluating a roofing system for a repair, we will determine a number of factors before we offer a customized solution. The following is a list of questions our qualified estimators will ask:
- How old is the roof?
- How many leaks do you have?
- How long has it been leaking?
- Have you made previous attempts to repair the leak?
- What are your plans for staying in the building/house in the future?
- How often have you had roof maintenance done?
It takes a highly qualified technician to properly troubleshoot and repair a roof. Our roof repair technicians each have at least 10 years of experience as foremen, and they perform quality, professional repairs to the highest standards. We even provide digital pictures of the repair upon request. When your roof requires a repair, it also provides you with an opportunity to perform cost-effective roof maintenance at the same time. Having roof maintenance done along with your repair will be less expensive and disruptive than scheduling it as a separate project.
Just as your car requires regular maintenance to continue running well, your roof needs routine maintenance to function optimally over time. Routine roof maintenance helps prevent damage, wear, and the need for early replacement. In our experience, over 50% of water leaks could have been prevented with routine roof maintenance. Therefore, maintaining your roofing system can save you money in the long run.
At San Diego County Roofing & Solar, we offer expert routine and periodic roof maintenance services at competitive prices. For previous customers, we store individual contact and roof information (including warranty and contract information) in our comprehensive database. We also offer periodic or occasional roof maintenance services to new and returning customers. Click on any of the links below to learn more.
- Preventive Maintenance
- Ponding Water (Standing Water)
- Flashing Details, Drains, Skylights and Air Conditioning Units
Preventative maintenance is a yearly service required by the roofing material manufacturers in order to keep your material warranties intact.
During a preventative maintenance service visit, our skilled technicians will do the following:
- Thoroughly inspect all roof drains and scuppers and seal as necessary.
- Thoroughly inspect all pipe and vent locations for cracking or separation of tile from the metal flanges. They will check the condition of the secondary seal of roof cement or sealant around the base of the jack and reseal as needed.
- Thoroughly inspect and replace all broken tile, hips, ridges and rakes.
- Clean all rain gutters and downspouts as needed and remove all rooftop debris.
- Thoroughly inspect and repair all edge metal.
- Thoroughly inspect and seal, as needed, all roof-to-wall junctions and chimney flashings.
- Thoroughly inspect and seal, as needed, all valley metal and skylights.
- Repair all visible potential leaks.
- Thoroughly inspect completed job to ensure maximum quality and lasting repairs.
Ponding Water (Standing Water)
The most important function of a roofing system is to keep water out of the building. The second most important function is to drain the water off the roof. Unfortunately, as time passes, buildings settle, rafters and decking deteriorate, and as a result, areas of the roof may being to collect ponding (or standing) water.
In the construction industry, the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) defines roof ponding as “water that remains on a roof surface longer than 48 hours after the termination of the most recent rain event.”
Solutions for Ponding/Standing Water:
- The best solution for ponding water is a Tapered Designed Insulation System. We will engineer the roof so all water flows to the drains. This is an expensive option, but it will eliminate the ponding water.
- Adding new drains, scuppers, and crickets, and building up the low areas, are other options for a roof with standing water. These options are not as expensive or effective as the Tapered System, but they will help reduce ponding water.
- No manufacturer will guarantee a roofing system that ponds water. The only exception to this rule is Single Ply Roofing Systems.
Flashing Details, Drains, Skylights, and Air Conditioning Units
Flashing details, drains, skylights, and air conditioning units are the most important parts of your roofing system. We have found that less than 5% of water leaks come from the general field of the roofing system, while more than 95% occur around these four elements. This is why San Diego County Roofing & Solar pays close attention to them when working with the building envelope. We also strongly recommend having all air conditioning units properly sealed by an authorized air conditioning contractor.
We perform Preventative Maintenance on all types and brands of both Residential and Commercial Roofs. Including, Asphalt Shingles, Concrete Tile, Clay Tile, Metal, Slate, TPO, PVC, APP Modified, SBS Modified, and Hot Asphalt.